Metatarsalgia is described as pain around the ball of the foot when weight-bearing. It can come on gradually over time or suddenly as a result of trauma.
- Achy, sharp or even a burning pain in the forefoot.
- Bruised, painful to touch forefoot.
- Walking barefoot is usually more aggravating than in a shoe.
- Foot Mechanics - all foot types with poor mechanics are susceptible.
- Trauma - a contusion to the forefoot.
- Activities - increased activities and poor foot mechanics.
- Fat Pad Atrophy - a decrease in the forefoot fat pad, particularly in the aged.